Menu

Friday, June 29, 2018

Thanks for the Memories


Jesse, Keely, Leo, Dave, Jeff, Aesha, Keri, me (Val), Jayme, and Nicole.  Summer Institute Faculty for 2018.

As we ended Summer Institute on Friday, June 8th, I had mixed feelings. After being away from my cats for five nights, I was really looking forward to getting home. I had a long drive ahead of me. And I was looking forward to the comforts of my own home, my own kitchen, and especially my own bed. The bunks at Capital University’s residence halls challenged the alpinist in me as I faced a bed in loft mode five feet off the floor. It was all part of the Summer Institute adventure!

I love SI for the chance I get to live and work with fellow professionals, to teach and to share insights, and to be on stage. I really enjoy leading folks through the NASFAA credential sessions, especially, but as I have told my students in the past, I don’t just teach to the test. Part of the fun is in using the topic to discuss real-life scenarios.  I found that learning SAP or PJ is easier if you can also talk about situations you have encountered. This is the opportunity to take advantage of the experts around you, and I enjoy hearing the stories of the folks in the class, whether students or faculty, as much as I enjoy talking about my experiences in 30+ years of aid. Thank you, so many of you, for the comments you made that added to the richness of the learning experience for all of us.

After two years of SI, I venture to say that I have (one of) the most famous cats in MASFAA. Many folks now know the story of Isis, who had her name before the terrorists, and who refused to change her name because that would mean “letting the terrorists win”. Instead, she basks in pride in being named for the Egyptian goddess, and is always happy when I come home and tell her that another sixty or seventy people now know all about her.

We had plenty of fun this time around, as well. Kudos to the MASFAA Co-chairs and the Delegate at Large (Aesha Engeldinger, David Peterson, and Emily Haynam, respectively) for the night at Pins Mechanical. Duckpin bowling is much more fun that standard bowling, and the pinball machines, jenga, and other diversions were pretty darn cool! The Summer Institute group was joined by members of the MASFAA Executive Board who were in town for their meeting, and it was great for me seeing many of these colleagues again.

All in all, Capitalizing on Community was a great summer vacation for me. I am looking forward to staying in touch with many of the folks who came forward to meet me, or asked for my card. I hope that all of the participants learned something about their profession and found new successful experience. 

Thanks, MASFAA, for Summer Institute.
            --- Val Meyers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.