Menu

Monday, October 1, 2018

Get The Most Out of Conferences By Asking Questions


Submitted by Ted Malone, Executive Director, Division of Financial Aid, Purdue University

Hi everyone, my name is Ted and I am a question asker. For many people they first see me standing at a microphone waiting to ask a question of a Fed or other speaker. For me, I cannot help it. There are times when I am determined not to ask a question, but then the speaker says something that cannot go unquestioned. I try to see if someone else will do it, but after a bit, I find myself back at the microphone. I am reasonably certain that if I have a question, someone else must have it. I am a curious person by nature and not particularly shy; both of those traits are helpful in being a question asker. However, you can learn to be bold and confident. Some of you may want to become a question asker. There are some important rules for asking questions:
  • Pay attention to questions asked by others and avoid asking the same question that was just answered unless you are seeking additional clarification. If you do, make sure to acknowledge the previous question.
  • Always identify yourself as someone else. I like to go with Peter Hurley from the University of Michigan. Not really, it is best to admit who you are. 
  • If you are on camera and your name tag can clearly be seen, don’t try to be anonymous.
  • Think about your question before you walk to the microphone. At my age, I need to write them down so I don’t forget it on the way up.
  • Try to remember that the person making the presentation likely did not make the call on the issue in question, so don’t kill the messenger.
  • Use sarcasm sparingly. It can be great, but more often will only confuse people.
  • If you have a question, other people have the same one.
  • Try to avoid specific situations that only apply to a single student. Those are best done one-on-one after the session.
  • Speak slowly, clearly, and succinctly
Well, those are the most important ones. I’m sure there are others, so if you think of them share them with me. You know where to find me at the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.