Menu

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Thoughts from the Missouri Recipient of the MASFAA Conference Scholarship


Ahhh… there is nothing quite like the excitement of receiving a scholarship! I have to admit, it’s been a few years since I’ve felt the exhilaration of receiving a “you have been selected as a recipient” letter. Upon receiving the news, I *may* have jumped up from my desk and dashed into my supervisor’s office. Keri Gilbert exclaimed with a “you scared me!” as she witnessed me dance in her office door as I shared the news.

I couldn’t be more thrilled to be selected as a recipient of the MASFAA Conference Scholarship. When I began my career in financial aid, a mere five months ago, it was explained to me how enjoyable and rewarding financial aid conferences could be. When I was selected to attend MASFAA’s Summer Institute, I got a taste of this, as I was able to collaborate with financial aid professionals from the nine states that MASFAA serves. I was able to grow in many ways; both in my professional knowledge and with those whom I built relationships. Shout out to all of those who attended Summer Institute with me... what a blast (minus the beds… we won’t talk about those!)
  
I can’t say that I know exactly what to expect at the upcoming “Seeds of the Future” conference. What I can say is that expect to gain new professional relationships, enhance my knowledge of financial aid processes, and be seen around the conference as a really-smiley and happy-to-be-there financial aid professional.

I plan to moderate some conference sessions, and engage in as many sessions as I am able. I am particularly excited for the sessions on “How to Advocate” (my social work background sends me there, of course), “Bringing Financial Aid to Everyone,” and “How America Pays for Graduate School” (I’m starting my grad program in Spring 2019 - yikes). In attending these sessions, I am hoping that the instructors will inspire me to create a session of my own. Look out MASFAA! I’m here to live, learn, and eventually teach other professionals in my career.

I look forward to seeing you all there, and meeting lots of new faces from around the country. I wish you all safe travels to Minnesota, and I hope to be greeted into a new financial aid family with open arms.

All the best,
Manda Riley
Financial Aid Advisor
University of Missouri

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, way to go, Manda! You're going to have such a great time at MASFAA!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.