Menu

Friday, March 29, 2019

Reflections on Summer Institute

Submitted by Manda Riley, Financial Aid Adviser at the University of Missouri - Columbia and 2019 Summer Institute faculty member

Come one, come all – sign up for MASFAA’s 2019 Summer Institute!

Last year, my supervisor encouraged me to attend MASFAA’s 2018 Summer Institute after a whopping two months of working in the financial aid world.  I’ll admit – I was nervous.  I wasn’t sure what to expect from the experience and didn’t know if I would be “up to par” with my colleagues. 

Fortunately, I was welcomed with open arms from the moment I arrived.  I quickly felt comfortable with the group and recognized that there were financial aid professionals from all backgrounds and levels of experience.  I enjoyed meeting “newbies” like myself as much as I enjoyed meeting our seasoned veterans.  I did not once feel that I didn’t belong.

Reflecting a year later, I can tell you that Summer Institute was one of the most valuable financial aid experiences I have had to date.  I gained new knowledge, yes, but just as important, I gained new friends.  When traveling to other financial aid events, I am excited to reach out to the colleagues I met at Summer Institute and reconnect.  I have found a community with MASFAA, and am confident that you will too.

One of the biggest perks?  Being eligible to earn all of your NASFAA credentials!  After attending Summer Institute, I went back to my office inspired to complete them all.  One month later, I received all 17 – the first to achieve this goal in the state of Missouri.  My colleagues Dr. Nick Prewett, Gena Boling, Keri Gilbert, and Keely Haynes have all achieved their credentials since then, too!  Maybe you will be the person in your office to inspire your co-workers to meet this wonderful bench mark. Bonus perk:  An awesome flashing pin from NASFAA that states “Credentialed professional.”  Oh, and more credential certificates than you could possibly display in your office.  Seventeen picture frames later…

During Summer Institute, I grew significantly from the professional development and NASFAA credential sessions offered.  As an adviser, I continue to utilize the information gained there each day.  More importantly, I learned where to find information when I need it, and found colleagues that I can reach out to when I need support.  I also got to try out fun activities like duckpin bowling and explore Columbus in my downtime.  How fun is that?

As a faculty member for 2019 Summer Institute, I am thrilled to share my love and passion for financial aid with you – a lot of which was inspired and grew during my time at Summer Institute.  We are prepared to welcome you with open arms, and regardless of your level of expertise, our faculty will encourage you to grow in new ways with your fellow MASFAA colleagues. 

Moral of this story… go sign up!  See you in Michigan, MASFAA!




To learn more and register for the 2019 MASFAA Summer Institute and Leadership Symposium, visit https://www.masfaaweb.org/Summer-Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.