Menu

Monday, September 4, 2017

MASFAA Member Spotlight!

One of the tasks of the Summer Institute faculty is to identify a winner of MASFAA's Haywood Legacy Scholarship, an award that provides for registration to the MASFAA conference and membership dues for the upcoming year. This week, it is our pleasure to introduce you to a newcomer to our profession - Vie Ward from University of Illinois, the 2017 Haywood Legacy Scholarship recipient!



How did you get started in financial aid?

I began my career in higher education as an admissions counselor where I enjoyed the atmosphere and energy of a college campus. I then stepped away from higher education and moved to Nashville, Tennessee where I worked at the headquarters for a startup ride-sharing company. During my time there, I was drawn to understanding the complexities of how the mobile app operated from engineering, to product management, to customer service.

Pairing my tech and higher education backgrounds, I knew working in financial aid would allow me to stay challenged by learning the intricacies of a new system, while holding on to my passion for helping others.

What did you study in college? What drew you to that subject?

I have a bachelor's degree in Communication Studies with an interpersonal emphasis. I've always been fascinated with how humans communicate with one another across various mediums and wanted to study something I would use every single day.

What advice do you have for someone new to financial aid?

In my short time in the field, I have learned that financial aid is ever-changing. My advice would be to allow yourself time to develop a strong foundation for financial aid concepts so that adapting to change will be that much easier. Be sure to lean on your colleagues and supervisors for advice and guidance. And lastly, have fun!

What keeps you motivated when you are having a difficult day at the office?

I stay motivated by remembering the critical role we play in contributing to student success. We all work hard to guide students and families through the financial aid process and even during difficult situations, we help to explore alternative solutions. During the busier or more stressful times, I take a deep breath and remember why I am here and the importance of my role.

What do you enjoy doing outside work? 

Outside of the office I love to spend time with my family. My son began crawling at the beginning of August and it's been wonderful to see him move around so much!

Are there any fun facts that would surprise someone who just met you?

I'm a singer/songwriter and play piano, guitar, harmonica and ukulele. I have auditioned for roles on the TV shows "Glee" and "Nashville". I was also on my college's table tennis team and once lost in a regional tournament to a 9-year-old!

Thank you, Vie, for sharing a bit about yourself with the MASFAA membership. We encourage those attending the conference to say hello and welcome this new member.


The Haywood Legacy Scholarship, established by former MASFAA president Zina Haywood, is awarded to one person of color to attend the annual MASFAA conference. The recipient is selected from amongst Summer Institute attendees by the SI faculty. MASFAA is grateful to Ms. Haywood for her continued support of both MASFAA and the professional development of people of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.