Menu

Monday, June 27, 2016

MASFAA Leadership Spotlight

Submitted by Faith Phillips, OASFAA President


1. What is your name, job title, school, state, and MASFAA position (please provide a description of your position)

Faith Phillips, Director of Financial Aid at Central Ohio Technical College and The Ohio State University at Newark.  I am the current President-Elect of the Ohio Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators. While the gavel was passed to me by our current President at our state conference the first week of May, I assume full responsibility as President July 1st.

2. How did you get started in financial aid?

I got started in financial like many of you, by working as a Federal Work Study student. Little did I know that not only was I earning money to help pay for college, I was developing what would become a lifelong career.

3. How did you first become involved in your state and regional associations?

Shortly after I moved back to Ohio and took my current position, I attended my first OASFAA conference. Following that conference, the OASFAA President asked me to chair the Need Analysis Committee.  From that point I have always been involved in OASFAA in a variety of roles.  While I have attended many MASFAA conference, serving as the State Representative for Ohio this year is my first direct involvement with MASFAA.

4. Why were you interested in a MASFAA leadership role?

I am glad that a ‘benefit’ of being a state representative is serving on the MASFAA Board. I am not sure I would have taken what felt like a big leap to become involved otherwise.  I learned more about the management of MASFAA and am not as ‘afraid’ of becoming more involved.  I learned so much and am looking forward to getting more involved with the MASFAA Leadership a few years down the road. Not to mention, all the great people I got to meet and the friendships I made during this past year.

5. What advice do you have for someone new to financial aid?

As soon as you are comfortable in your new role in financial aid, (attend state and regional conferences to enhance your training) find a committee you have an interest in becoming involved with. When you feel you are ready, volunteer to chair that committee.  The more you get involved the more comfortable you will become. One day you may be surprised to find you are ready to run for an elected position.

6. What are you looking forward to learning during your leadership term?
(Or what did you learn during your leadership term?)

I learned more about association management and how useful all connections made can be whether in my office or as I serve as the OASFAA President.  I have to say the State Exchange program was one of my favorite activities while serving this year. What a great opportunity I had to attend not only the West Virginia conference but also participate in one of their board meetings. It was good to see how other organizations run their meetings and hold their conferences.  In addition, we had fun hosting Amy Hager, MASFAP President-Elect from Moberly Area Community College at our spring conference the first week of May!

7. What do you enjoy doing outside the aid office?

In the spring and summer, when not working, you can usually find me at the baseball or softball fields watching my 13 year old son and my 16 year old daughter play ball.  When the weather is colder, you are likely going to find me scrapbooking!

8. Any final thoughts?

I am excited to begin my year as the OASFAA President.  We have a lot of decisions to be made while also preparing for MASFAA in Ohio in 2017.  OASFAA will celebrate 50 years in 2018 so the celebration planning has begun with the involvement of our past presidents.  It is going to be a fun filled challenging and educational year for me. It’s all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.