Menu

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Leadership Spotlight: Mo Amos

Leadership Spotlight

 


Name, Job Title, School, State, MASFAA Position, Description of your position
Maureen Terese ‘Mo’ Amos, Director of Financial Aid at Northeastern Illinois University.  Current member of the MASFAA Research Committee.

How did you get started in financial aid?
Looking for a move out of Student Activities and Programming; Financial Aid Advisor was the only position open on campus

How did you first become involved in your state and regional associations?
Immediately after I accepted the Financial Aid Advisor position and having knowledge that all advisors were members of the state association, I signed up to volunteer on the Financial Aid/Admission Awareness Month committee of ILASFAA. I volunteered to answer the FAFSA Hotline during the month of February. I have actually been on the committee every since although the committee has changed names. Next, I became aware that advisors were members of NASFAA and that I could volunteer for a committee as well. I did not become active in MASFAA because advisors were not members, only the Directors. So it was not until I joined Northeastern Illinois University that I became active at the regional level.

Why were you interested in a MASFAA leadership role?
Similar to my passion with working with students and families at the grass roots level on FAFSA Completion and early awareness; I saw that MASFAA had the same opportunities to tie college access back to our communities we serve.

What advice do you have for someone new to financial aid?
Do as I did the first year walking into the field – seek information, seek networking opportunities, seek out colleagues with similar passions in order to learn as much and as fast as humanly possible. Seek to be a resource to others and encourage students to consider the profession.

What advice do you have for someone interested in becoming more involved in MASFAA?
Do it if you can! If membership is limited to senior level at your institution, inquire about the role MASFAA plays as that bridge between state and national associations. NASFAA relies on regional representation to facilitate its mission. Request to attend the summer institute if the budget allows. If we never ask, the doors may never be opened.

What are you looking forward to learning during your leadership term?
Everything – there is no such thing as coincidences only opportunities to grow, discern and learn

What do you enjoy doing when you are outside the aid office?
I am a Lay Minister for the Archdiocese in Chicago so I love volunteering for my parish through dignity breakfasts, children’s church and liturgy planning

Any final thoughts?
Not at this time – this was a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.