Menu

Monday, November 2, 2015

Leadership Spotlight: Heidi Carl

Heidi Carl, Director of Financial Aid, Wabash College, Indiana, Delegate-at-Large position on MASFAA Board. The Delegate-at-Large position serves as a representative of the membership and helps to oversee certain committees of the board, as assigned by the president. 

How did you get started in financial aid?  I started in financial aid at the University of Indianapolis (UIndy). It was my first job in higher education after earning my Masters in Higher Education Administration. 

How did you first become involved in your state and regional associations?  It only took a couple of months of working at UIndy for me to get involved in our state association. I went to my first state conference and a number of my colleagues were friends with JoAnn Laugel (recently retired Director of Financial Aid at Evansville University), who was the incoming president of the Indiana state association. JoAnn asked me if I was interested in serving on a committee that year and the rest is history. I have served our state association every year since then in some capacity, and was our state president in 2011-12. I started serving MASFAA when I was our state representative as president and fell in love with serving at that level as well. I have continued to serve MASFAA as the Professional Development committee chair and now as Delegate-at-Large.  

Why were you interested in a MASFAA leadership role?  I love all of my colleagues in financial aid. They have really become by extended family and I was excited about the opportunity to represent them on our current governing board.  

What advice do you have for someone new to financial aid?  Meet people and get involved. I try to mentor new professionals and encourage them to serve as early as they can in their career. I really think it is the key to my success in financial aid. Learning from others and being able to reach out to them whenever I have a question is really why I think our network of professionals is so important.  

What advice do you have for someone interested in becoming more involved in MASFAA?  I would recommend they take the leap and sign up to get involved. The benefits you get from serving the association far outweigh the time it takes for you to get involved. You will grow personally and professionally.  

What are you looking forward to learning during your leadership term?  I hope to learn more about the operations of the MASFAA board. I have been involved as a committee chair but I think being a Delegate-at-Large will give me a closer inside look to understand all of the details of managing the board and all of the work those individuals do for our association.  

What do you enjoy doing when you are outside the aid office?  When I’m not at work I love to hang out with friends and typically enjoy some type of delicious cuisine. I have to admit I have been referred to as a “foodie.” I love to cook and bake and I also love to go out and enjoy delicious drinks and food. I’m so fortunate to live in a great location that allows me to try many different wonderful restaurants. I also love to read, garden and of course shop for SHOES! 

Any final thoughts?  I am so thankful that I have been elected by my peers for this wonderful opportunity. I encourage the MASFAA members to reach out to me if they have an issue or an idea that they would like to present to the MASFAA board. I truly want to be a voice for the membership.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.