Menu

Monday, August 10, 2015

MASFAA Leader Spotlight: Debbie Schumm

Today we have another MASFAA Leader Spotlight to share with you. Debbie Schumm is a Senior Financial Aid Counselor at the University of Saint Francis. She also serves as the ISFAA President and MASFAA Treasurer-Elect.

How did you get started in financial aid? 
I was managing one of the Indiana State Park Inns and checked in the Director of Financial Aid from the University of Saint Francis for the ISFAA Spring Conference.  We started talking and the rest is history. 

How did you first become involved in your state and regional associations?
For ISFAA I was attending one of the conferences and there were some questions about a charge from the hotel to the conference and one of the co-chairs happen to be talking with me about it.  Through that conversation it was discovered I had a hotel management degree and background.  I was on the next conference site committee.  For MASFAA I served on the board as the Indiana State Representative since I was the President-Elect of ISFAA.  I enjoyed it so much I decided to run.

Why were you interested in a MASFAA leadership role?
 I really enjoyed serving on the board and met a lot of great people.  I think MASFAA is a great association and wanted to continue being a part of it.

What advice do you have for someone new to financial aid? 
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and get to know others in the field.  Things are always changing so having the connections to contact and talk things through is very helpful.

What advice do you have for someone interested in becoming more involved in MASFAA? 
Do it!  The friends and connections you will meet are life changing.  Being involved will help you grow professionally and personally.

What have you learned through your state or regional association that you were not expecting? 
I learned I know more than I give myself credit for.

What are you looking forward to learning during your leadership term? 
I am looking forward to learning more about how MASFAA works and being able to share that with ISFAA.

What do you enjoy doing when you are outside the aid office? 
I love spending time with my family and friends.


Any final thoughts?
I am very excited to being part of the MASFAA Executive Board again and want to thank all that voted for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on a MASFAA Moments blog post! Comments are moderated, but your comment should appear shortly.