(by Communications & Electronic Initiatives Committee)
Early this morning, at midnight (EST), the U.S. Department of Education (ED) released its draft framework (link via Inside HigherEd) of the Obama Administration's College Ratings plan, otherwise known as the Postsecondary Institution Ratings System (PIRS). Several articles and posts have already covered the move, including a blog post by Robert Kelchen, a higher education professor at Seton Hall University who reports and comments on some of the key pieces: Comments on Federal College Rating Metrics (via his blog, Kelchen on Education).
Other news articles covering the move include:
- New York Times: Rating Plan for Colleges Is Unveiled by the U.S.
- U.S. News & World Report: Obama Administration Seeks Input on College Ratings Draft
- Los Angeles Times: College ratings system may rank loan repayments, graduation statistics
- Inside Higher Ed: Behind the Ratings
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: Obama’s College-Ratings Plan Arrives, but Most Specifics Stay Behind